Re: my worry about the recent libxml change

On 23 Mar 2001 15:31:12 -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 02:09:03PM +0400, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Darin Adler wrote:
> >  Here is what I propose:
> > * DOM tree should use locale's encoding in memory. When we switch to gtk-2.0,
> >   this will automatically mean that tree will be in utf8 format.
>
>   Irrealistic with libxml, libxml-1.8.12 and libxml2 both use UTF8
> for the internal representation in memory. Libxml has not idea
> of a locale, it's an XML app not a GUI one.

I do find this suggestion quite bizarre.  XML implementations must
support Unicode (right?), there would be no reason not to ever store the
internal representation taking that into account, and utf8 is the nicer
solution to this.

The only argument seems to be that it was used wrongly in the first
place, and lets just keep it that way so we dont have to fix it.

 !Z