Re: my worry about the recent libxml change

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 06:57:35AM -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>   I hope it can too. But if the final question left is:
>     "Shoudl we prefer keeping the existing broken platform over
>      adherance to standard and better I18N support"
>
>   then my definitive answer is a resounding NO !
> I just hope we won't end up being stuck at this question.

I think you are wrong.  We need to get 1.4 out.  If changing the libxml1
parser breaks so many things this late in the game this is bad.  Why not
wait until GNOME 2 for this.  Why?

Because in 2.0 we use utf8 for everything in the first place.  Getting
everything absolutely correct for 1.4 would be cool, but a sort of useless
exercise as all this code to deal with conversions and all that crap can be
just thrown out for 2.0.  So we delay 1.4 by several months to get everything
working correctly with new libxml1 (which is a deprecated old version to
begin with) and then in a few more months 2.0 comes out which makes all this
work absolutely obscolete.

Really, a user doesn't give a rats ass if the XML parser is conformant or not.
But he will notice things not working or displaying garbage or whatnot.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   A good memory is needed after one has lied.