Re: patch for gtk+-2.0 : support for new Application Launch Feedback mechanism

hi

There are problems with your proposal as I understand it:

1. The launcher would:
      - start the feedback display
      - fork and exec application

      But, if the feedback display window is awaiting an X client
      message then it would have to use gtk_main(). Therefore, the
      start_feedback() would not return to allow launcher to fork and
      exec the application. (In galf the feedback display window just
      uses gtk_widget_show()).As far as I can see, you would have to use
      threads to get around this ......

2.  The mechanism you propose relies on the toolkit being compliant (ie
    sending the X client message). The galf mechanism has a workaround
    for non-compliant toolkits (ie toolkits that do not set the
    _NET_WM_LAUNCH_ID property), in that it monitors for the mapping of a new
    window that does not have that property set.

Can you outline the issues/problems you envisage with the CORBA solution?

thanks
Mary

> On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Mary Dwyer wrote:
>
> > I confess I don't understand your proposal. Could you elaborate upon it?
> > - do you propose still using a binary wrapper to launch the app?
>
> No. It is just a different type of modification to the toolkit.
>
> > - are you uniquely identifying the feedback in some way?
>
> This is entirely possible - the launchee can pass information in the
> environment variable back to the launcher, as part of the
>
> > - and in particular, what code would be updated to make the launched app
send
> >   an X client message to the window of the launching app?
>
> The same area of code that is currently updated by your gdk patch...
> Instead of saying "Look here I am" by setting a window property, the
> launchee would do the same by simply sending a ClientMessage to the
> launcher.
>
> -- Elliot
> The truth knocks on my door, and I say
> "Go away. I'm looking for the truth"
> ...and so it goes away.

~ I speak for myself, not for my employer ~
Mary Dwyer
Desktop Applications & Middleware Grp
Sun Microsystems Ireland
Tel: +353-1-8199222 (xt 19222)