Re: Don't bloat Gnome-libs, bloat Gtk+/Glib

Sigh,

On 12 Mar 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Sigh. Can we PLEASE stop posting mail that amounts to "I have
> technical disagreements with project XYZ. Therefore I will flame the
> developers of XYZ."

	Good plan.

> Just post the fricking technical disagreements, preferably on the
> devel list for XYZ. This passive-aggressive bullshit is not going to
> get us anywhere.

	Well, as I said, I agree with most of the proposal, and I was
'mildly amused' about what I will re-state simply as the feature
increase in Gtk+/glib.

> Well first you need to get rid of that assumption - remember that I
> wrote a good bit of stuff in gnome-libs, GConf, etc. and I hope
> qualify as a "Gnome person."

	Of course you do, I hope I'm not quite foolish enough to think
otherwise :-), but I would see you, Owen and Tim as Gtk+ people.

> The purpose of discussion and argument is not to be "right," the
> purpose is to reach a good conclusion based on everyone's best
> ideas. I think flames like this keep people from posting their
> current best ideas.

	I didn't mean to flame you, will you accept my apologies ?
what can I do to encourage other people that if they get so flamed
that it will all come good eventualy ?

	Perhaps I should have prefixed my comments with the following
background:

	The other day reading through some OO source code I saw the
type sal_Int16 in some code and I would prefer to have seen gint16.
Then, recently I talked to the author of PHP and a Perl hacker about
the amount of shared code. I considered where the obvious place was
to start sharing code between projects, and it seems to me that the
best place is at the XP foundation layer. Then I looked at the
direction of glib and was sad.

	Then I was mildly amused to be told about the importance of
splitting up libraries ...

> Don't you agree? Well, probably not. But you should!

	:-) I hope something useful came out of this,

		Michael.