Re: a patch for tasklist segfaulting...

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> > What sort of behaviour causes the deskguide/tasklist problems? I don't use
> > the tasklist, but I've heard a lot of unhappy talk about the deskguide...
> > It's always surprised me, as I don't have any stability problems at all
> > (with regards to the deskguide at least).
>
> It just blows up at random. This happens with gnome 1.2 as well but there
> its not fatal to the panel so its a minor irritation.

i've not seen any random crashes since Nov14 where i fixed a visual!=NULL
assertion in the code. so assuming you run V0.4 or better yet CVS HEAD,
i'd apprechiate info beyond "it crashed".

> The deskguide drawing the display stuff causes several problems
>
> 1.	Its very demanding on CPU for a slow box

that is purely a choice of default value which we are currently
discussing, nevertheless, you can always turn it off.

> 2.	It eats memory on small boxes

the thumbnailing should not eat much memory, it only keeps the extra
pixels required for storing the thumbs.

> 3.	Its behaviour on an xdm session on an xterminal is horrible since it
> 	causes zillions of remote pixel lookups

this is not a scenario where you'd want thumbnailing turned off, if you
provide with a gboolean running_on_remote_display() routine, i'll make
the default dependant on that.

> Alan

---
ciaoTJ