Deskguide performance ...

Hi Tim,

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Tim Janik wrote:
> i have received mostly positive feedback on automatic thumbnailing and
> figured that most people actually want it on

        If by 'automatic thumbnailing' you mean the toggle box

        "Fill window thumbnails with screen contents"

        Then please treat my feedback as the 2% of people that feel 5000%
stronger about this issue than the other 98% who just don't care and thus
balance them out.

        This option is the bane of my life, I have an extremely fast
machine (650MHz), with lots of RAM and I need lots of lines in my emacs
buffer. I have 4x4 virtual desktops, and no panel, just a foo-bar.

        So, I get things like this:
                                                  % cpu %mem
  811 root      19   0 23804  23M  2496 S       0 18.2  9.2 144:36 X
28069 michael   17   0  3812 3812  3044 S       0 14.4  1.4   0:04
deskguide_apple

        Whilst not doing anything X intensive. ie. they are chewing up 40%
of my CPU.

        Perhaps this would be no problem, but it appears the applet
refuses to remember that I've told it not to kill my CPU/battery,
neccessitating remembering to turn this option off whenever I re-start X /
GNOME ( eg. before a GNOME presentation when I must change resolution ),
consequently sometimes my demos run at half speed, and frequently my
batteries die in their youth.

        So, I don't know what the root of the problem is; I have X 3.3.6,
and Deskguide 0.4, from gnome-core-1.3.0.

        I suspect it could be due to the final size of each pane in the
deskguide being so small, and the problems of interpolating down a
1500x1024x16bits desktop to 8x5 pixels. It is almost totaly pointless
doing this with such a small view.

        Regards,

                Michael.