Re: [Michael Meeks <michael ximian com>] Re: GNOME and migrating to utf-8

> Like Michael said, one of the main problems is libxml not handling
> utf-8. This is used to parse the
> .xml, .glade, .oaf files and possibly others. Also the .desktop handling
> code in gnome-core doesn't
> handle utf-8 and likely the gnome-vfs code that handles .keys files.

  Of course proper support of UTF8 is there for more than one year,
but it's called libxml2 :-(((

  What *REALLY* pisses me off is that I made binary incompatible changes
to libxml2 mostly to help building the DOM gdome/gdome2 interfaces, and
the people who requested those changes have abandonned gdome in the
meantime. Now all the GNOME project is stuck with the old library for
compatibility reasons, this library is not conformant and have serious bugs.
And I feel responsible for this mess.

  Lesson learned: next time someone asks for a binary incompatible change
I will check first that it won't force a split for 2 years !!!

Daniel