Re: Towards better OAF/Bonobo integration

El d_ 29 Jul 2001 02:16:01 -0700, Maciej Stachowiak escribi_
> On 29Jul2001 10:41AM (+0200), Carlos Perell? Mar?n wrote:
> >

> > What about made oafd be multiuser (in some situations)?.
> >

> I think that could lead to serious security problems.

I know it, but Could we made a corba based server to store some
information and let it be used by several users?

> > For example, we could do that wombat (the evolution calendar/addressbook
> > server) share its data with several Evolution users (from remote
> > workstations). With this feature we don't need to create our own
> > protocol to manage this connection. It will be the same with local o
> > remote connections. Of course, we will need to add oaf some way to
> > authentication the user.
>
> I am not sure what exactly you are trying to do here.

My specific example:

At GNOME-DB we are developing a report server. It will be like a report
repository where you can share your reports. For example, you could made
a report with your company sales for the last month and save it at the
report server. Then your boss ask you for it, you only need to give him
an URI like report://SERVER_NAME/REPORT_NAME and, for example, from
Nautilus he could see it (It's only an idea that we are starting to code
now).

I don't know if we could do something like this without having oafd
multiuser and using ORBit.

The idea is to have a report server like you have a FTP server but, of
course, with a lot of report specific features and using CORBA instead
of our own TCP/IP protocol.

> Regards,
>
> Maciej

Bye