Re: gnome-triggers/gnome-sound/sound events

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 05:31:13PM +0200, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> To me centralizing this also sounds a lot better than linking each Gnome app
> against libesd just to do some sound notifications.
>
> It's also what KDE2 does (knotify runs as seperate service that handles
> notifications, applications only communicate their events to knotify). It
> seems that the design works well.

Hmmm, an idea ...

This kind of stuff doesn't seem to at all be a desktop specific thing, that is
I don't see it using any GUI or other stuff that would make it so.  How about
writing (or using existing knotify) for both gnome and kde?  If extra
functionality would be required a "plugin" system thatwould open per desktop
components could work out well here.

This would make sure that gnome apps running under kde and vice versa would
use the same notification schemes, and thus accessibility (which seems to be
one use for this) could be increased.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.