Re: gnome-triggers/gnome-sound/sound events

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Bill Haneman wrote:

> OK, whatever we do, we should avoid having the apps hard-code a "play"
> command to a sound engine if the purpose of the sound is notification.
> Somewhere there needs to be a "notification sound" API, even if it's
> not in gnome-session.

There already is, as far as the API goes. The idea was to improve the
implementation by centralizing the sound playing stuff and getting rid of
a bunch of cruft in libraries.

I think gnome-session is the strongest place to implement the
centralization, but only because there isn't any other process of session
duration that can easily be communicated with using a lightweight
protocol.

-- Elliot
Your freedom to change my source code does not translate into my
responsibility to foist your changes upon users at large.