Re: GNOME 2.0 Defaults

<quote who="Malcolm Tredinnick">

> Isn't there a fair bit of overlap between this and the UI and usability
> projects?

> I, for one, would prefer to see more leveraging of existing mailing
> lists and mind-melds than "yet another project".

Well, I'm generally the first to rant about "fracturing the community with
yet another mailing list" etc, so I haven't done this without reason. :)

There's only one UI/Usability project now; unless you count g-g-l, which no
one really does any more. The usability project is concerned more with the
deeper usability issues within GNOME, and is quite a bit more important than
this little project.

Here, we're looking at "how should Sawfish work by default" and "which
applets and icons should be on the panel when you run GNOME for the very
first time" - questions like that. Certainly, some of those *are* usability
issues (and given that one of the stated goals of this project is to gain as
much input from outside as possible, discussing them with the usability
group would be necessary).

I guess the difference is really 'branding' and polish versus seriously
hardcore usability hacking and studies. :) These sorts of discussions would
be off topic for usability gnome org

- Jeff

--
                          No pants is good pants.