helix gnome

Hi

    I was hoping you could help me out with a problem I have with my
gnome. First let me tell you what's wrong then what I did.

    What's wrong is that gnome doesn't work unless I log in as root at
the prompt then startx. In other words helix gnome works for my root
account. When I log in as a user and startx X loads and right when it
should start loading gnome it kicks me back to the prompt.

    I tried some stuff on my own to narrow down the problem. First I
ctrl-alt-F2'd out of my FVWM and did checked to see if X worked by
entering  X :1 at the prompt. It loaded the mouse X and the gray screen
so that works.

    It loaded fine so then I tried to load gnome with startx :1. It
kicked me out. I thought that if X worked then the problem had to be in
the startx script (but i'm no expert) I did startx -- :1  &>/tmp/error
so i could see what was scrolled on the screen. Nadda. It loaded
everything then kicked me out with no fatal errors.

    I'm not sure if the problems startx or the permissions because when
i did

ls -l /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/Xclients

and

ls -l etc /X11

everything looked accessible.

    Someone from debian said that they had a comparable problem caused
by a file called Xwrapper.conf but I can't find a comparable file in my
system.

    I'm currently running zoot with helix gnome. Everything had been
working fine without a break until I changed my hostname with netcfg but
I'm not sure that that's what started the problem.

    I'd like to get this fixed and any help would be great. Any
ideas/suggestions ?