Re: Intolerable CVS behaviour

On 25 Feb 2001, Almer S. Tigelaar wrote:

> > People may get killed if you drive too fast with your car. So let's
> > construct all cars in a way that you cannot drive faster then 5 Mph.
> >
> > That's how this how ACL system looks to me.
>

> I don't like ACL's. This is yet another measure that raises the barrier
> for contributing to
> Gnome projects. I don't think that's in the interest of the Gnome
> community.
>
> We should simply spent more time educating people about CVS and what
> the usage rules are. Enforcing the rules with ACL's seems like
> overkill and also puts yet another burden on the CVS maintainers.

Huh?

The problem is people committing crap to things they have no business
touching. This problem can be solved either by manual ACLs (i.e.
maintainer reverts unauthorized commits) or machine-enforced ACLs.

The latter will remove a burden from the CVS maintainers.

There are indeed problems with the "normal" ACLs compared to human
judgement, but none very big nor serious compared to the problem in
question.
-- Elliot
The truth knocks on my door, and I say
"Go away. I'm looking for the truth"