Re: Menu names

Jeff Waugh <jdub aphid net> writes:

> Kenneth - I think you're quite right about tidying up some of our little
> GNOMEisms.  :)
>
> <quote who="George">
>
> > Why not give the type of application in parenthesis as in:
> >
> > gedit (Text Editor)
> > GIMP (Image Manipulation Program)
> > gfrobate (Frobation Device Controller)

George, you've my vote.  Not only "newbies" are using GNOME -- I'd
appreciate it a lot to see filenames in menu entries!  (Yes, I know, I
can query the properties using the mouse, etc. ...)

> This is probably a little unclear.

No :)

> Is there any possibility of using the comment field as a tooltip for these
> menu items, or are we *way* too late? (I'd say yes, it's probably something
> to consider for a future release.)
>
> It would be great to mouse over "Text Editor" and see "gedit - A simple text
> editor". Less clutter, very direct, using infrastructure that's already
> there.

You're right, too.  We've to try to get both things right.

    Menu entry:

        filename (short generic name = class of the program?)

    Tooltip:

        filename - comment, 1-3 lines, nice to read.

--
Linux Frechet 2.2.18 #1 Fri Jan 19 22:10:35 GMT 2001 i686 unknown
  1:37pm  up 12 days, 21:19,  7 users,  load average: 1.12, 0.85, 0.52