Re: Sorting out ftp.gnome.org mirroring.

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Well, the other option would be to put ftp.gnome.org on a different
> > network, and have it so only mirrors and package maintainers access the
> > current ftp.gnome.org.  This would make ftp.gnome.org into a mirror
> > itself, and would take some of the bandwidth pressure off our current
> > servers.
>
> This is how kernel.org works
>
> master.kernel.org = no end users
> ftp.kernel.org = { subset of ftp.*.kernel.org }

It sounds like everybody here agrees on a few basic ideas:
1) We need a master ftp server which does not allow anonymous ftp
2) We need to organize our mirrors a little better, so we know which ones
are reliable and up-to-date, and clean out mirrors which aren't mirroring
anymore.

I think we can set up a very nice system in the long term.  But since I
will not be doing this work myself, and because we want a solution very
soon, I'm proposing the minimal solution that gets the job done.  If the
people who implement this (Martin and Gregory?) would like to do a nicer
solution, that would be wonderful.  I'd at least like to see this minimal
system set up before GNOME 1.4beta2 (2/28) if at all possible.

* ftp.gnome.org runs ftp on a second port without anonymous ftp access for
mirrors only to rsync the packages
* We create a set of instructions for how to mirror ftp.gnome.org and put
it on www.gnome.org and ftp.gnome.org.  This should include emailing
ftp-admin gnome org with the URL and maintainers address of the mirror.

Eventually...
When we get another server set up with a fat pipe, we can make it a mirror
and call it ftp.gnome.org. The old ftp.gnome.org becomes
master.gnome.org.  And/or we can set up redirection to mirrors.
Since this is slower and more work, I propose we get the basic setup above
working first so that 1.4beta2 goes smoothly.  These improvements are
incremental and build on the minimal solution.

Dan

PS: Here is a detailed list of how we can do this, mainly here to bore
anybody who read this far:

1) Put out a request for volunteers for mirroring on Gnotices and
gnome-list
2) Try to track down emails for existing mirrors
3) Turn on 2nd ftp server on some odd port for non-anonymous ftp'ing
4) Write up mirror instructions
5) Drop MIRRORS and HOW_TO_BECOME_A_MIRROR in ftp.gnome.org
non-anonymous port
6) Write up and post instructions for mirroring and email it to mirror
hosts
7) Swap the anonymous and non-anonymous ftp directories, so they point to
opposite paths.  The timing should be coordinated so the mirrors so they
can update their servers.  Now the mirrors rsync off the non-anonymous
site and the users just get the MIRRORS file.  The reason for swapping
paths is so existing scripts which work with ftp.gnome.org don't need to
be modified.

If we can get this all done with a couple days to spare before 2/28, we
will be in good shape for 1.4beta2.