Re: GNOME 2.0 planning: A longer range roadmap

Jody Goldberg <jgoldberg home com> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 04:06:59AM -0800, George wrote:
>
> In an ideal world the bonobo-ui specification and verb/layout split
> would be use in gnome-libs.  It was boring work to convert from
> UIInfo -> bonobo but it is not impossible.  Having 3 distict
> approaches for setting up menus & toolbars seems like 2 too many.
> This is a rather central API that has been kicked into shape for the
> bonobo freeze.  Now would seem like a good to to review it, fix
> anything people don't like and adopt it widely.

I think the Bonobo system still has major design flaws and many
implementation problems. We are still finding serious bugs in it, and
the lack of so much as a DTD for the UI XML format makes it a very
error-prone API for developers.

I don't expect it to be ready for prime time for GNOME 2 unless some
major peer review action of the design and implementation happens.

 - Maciej