Proposal for new naming schema

Hi everyone!

I have a suggestion concerning the current names for cvs BRANCHES.
At the moment it is quite difficult to determine which BRANCH belongs to a certain GNOME version.

i.e. control-center-1-0 is for GNOME1.4 and control-center(HEAD) for further GNOME releases AFAIK

Darin, Christian Rose and I discussed about that problem yesterday on #nautilus. We think it is about time to introduce a better/new naming schema.
Thus, it is easier to find out for coders which BRANCH they need and also for translators.

I'd like to propose the following naming schema:

For GNOME 1.x versions we should use something like: <package_name>-1.
or: <package_name-version>-gnome-1.
The latter one results in a very long BRANCH name. I don't know if everybody wants that.

For GNOME 2.x it looks similiar: <package_name>-2.
or: <package_name-version>-gnome-2.

You might ask now why not using <package_name>-1-2. The answer is quite simple. The package should be used for all GNOME 1.x versions and not just for GNOME 1.2 (example here).

Introducing the new schema after GNOME1.4 is out will make life definitely easier for all of us. At the beginning the confusion might exist, but people will get quickly used to it.

Thanks for your attention,
Christian Meyer