Re: Multi-sessioning for GNOME [gnome-core/gsm]

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs eazel com> writes:

> Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:
>
> > Darin Adler <darin eazel com> writes:

> > > Why does this especially apply to "the Nautilus people"?
> > >
> > > Nautilus runs mode that makes criticals drop into the debugger, unlike other
> > > programs where you have to use "--g-fatal-warnings" or set a breakpoint on
> > > g_log to debug them. We consider them fatal errors, and I think we're more
> > > likely to track them down and fix them than other developers working on
> > > GNOME components.
> > >
> > > Maybe you are referring to something specific?
> >
> > I'm only referring to the fact that when we tried out PR3 the
> > other day, the screen was littered with -Critical warnings.
> >
> > Maybe this had something to do with a different build environment
> > here; maybe we were doing things you don't do in testing there;
> > I don't know. It wasn't pretty.
> >

> Hi Owen,
>
> We build all our libraries (down to gtk, glib, ORBit, etc) from source
> out of CVS here for development, and we generally use Ximian binary
> packages for testing. In both cases, we don't get all these criticals
> you mention. What library versions are you using?

Enough, enough, already :-)

It was Jonathan's machine, so I can only verify that they did occur. I
think Jonathan has has conveyed information about where some of the
errors were to Darin or Ramiro, along with information about what
packages he was using.

Some of the -Critical errors may have had to do with unclean
situations with stale processes - we hit some crashes as well.
(Same comments apply to the crashes.)

Regards,
                                        Owen