Re: 64-bit Libraries [Was Re: Gnome 1.4 / Linux 2.4.x]

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 10:08:37AM +0100, Tim Janik wrote:
> i wouldn't bet on that, gnome/gtk programs probably run fine on 64bit long
> integer systems (like the alpha), but not necessarily so for 64bit pointer
> systems (itanium). stuffing pointers into 32bit integers is probably still
> done in some places and that's a lethal factor on 64bit pointer systems.
> (and at least glib HEAD still has alignment problems with 64bit pointers
> that i need to get around fixing soon)

sizeof (long) == sizeof (void *) == 8 on alpha.  And no, it's not done as far
as I can say since my system wouldn't work.  Afaik, the sizes of types should
be same on itanium and alpha, unless they did something strange.

Alpha adds the extra benefit of fun stuff with alignment.  And even then
GTK+/GNOME manages to work.  So I would say it's pretty 64bit clean.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Personally, I'm always ready to learn, although I do not