Re: 64-bit Libraries [Was Re: Gnome 1.4 / Linux 2.4.x]

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>
> > I didn't had any 64bits problem reports lately.
>
> I think Gnome is pretty much all 64-bit clean as far as pointers and such
> go (as in, Gnome runs on the Alpha fine :), but is not set up to handle
> 64-bit file sizes.

i wouldn't bet on that, gnome/gtk programs probably run fine on 64bit long
integer systems (like the alpha), but not necessarily so for 64bit pointer
systems (itanium). stuffing pointers into 32bit integers is probably still
done in some places and that's a lethal factor on 64bit pointer systems.
(and at least glib HEAD still has alignment problems with 64bit pointers
that i need to get around fixing soon)

> I am assuming Mark was referring to the latter, because there is really
> no work to do towards the former.
> -- Elliot

---
ciaoTJ