Re: Gnome profiling ....

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 10:08:21AM +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	Also - after a little profiling from Federico - I've put a far better
> turn of speed onto the stable (and 2.0) bonobos - and killed the
> evolution flicker switching folders. We are still pushing far too much
> data to and from the X server [ possibly blocking for the roundtrip ].
Yahoo!!
/me sacrifies a curry to performance gods.

Your original patch was a significant help for gnumeric toolbar
handling.  I'll retest with the new code.  When will we see releases
with these patches ?

> This is perhaps due to the way we are rendering Gdk pixbufs with
> bonobo-ui-toolbar-icon; this it seems is the real bottleneck in the UI
> handler - problem is it uses a rendering model that is (AFAICS) the
> standard in Gtk+ 2.0 - so quite possibly all Gtk+ 2.0 programs will have
> horrendous latency issues via remote X ( we could prolly fix this with
> render extension help, but few older / non-free systems have this (?) ).
I've done some Xmon testing comparing gtktest for 1.2 and 2.0 over a
10Mb link to a P100 display.  Performance was quite reasonable in
both cases.  The xmon logs did not show any significicant increases
in the amount of data being transfered.  Subjective latencies seemed
similar (are there tools for quantifying lag at the X level ?)