Re: the same page

> All this (and the base window system and Linux) fits in less than 16 megabytes
> of flash, and runs on 16 meg of RAM.  Given that the current iPAQ's have
> both 32 meg of flash, and 64 meg of RAM, there is plenty of space....

None of the core components are actually usable in this situation. Nautilus
is way too big (but arguably inappropriate). However nautilus is the gnome
help browser for the new gnome. Mozilla/Galeon is right out - even if you
delete all the obvious modules you dont need (like big5 support) its too
big. Orbit outputs huge object files, and Orbit2 doesnt seem to be ready
yet.

None of the gtk/gnome geometry management is usably bugfree enough for
a 320x200 display, we get messy overlapping widgets, corrupted displays all
sorts. Ironically Athena widgets handle forced resizing beautifully.

(Try gnome in a 320x200 display some day, or even 640x480 with a window
 manager that forces all windows to a standard almost full screen geometry
 and weep)

gdk_pixbuf is painfully slow on the 200MHz ARM, some other code appears to
be randomly FPU happy.

Been there, tried it. I'm rather less optimistic than Jim. However I will
agree that gtk-1.x, gtk/python/glade, gtk_imlib, and the xfce stuff are
eminently fast enough (XFce is a no hoper for layout reasons)

Alan