Re: the same page

Just to add some input here, I was in preparation for the holidays of
going to my parents house where there is no dvd player, no internet
connection, and I'll be 2000 miles from home.

I did what any sane person would do...
I installed xine

Now, I'm rather impressed, I have a neomagic video card and a P3-450
So I'm not getting any video acceleration, and its a laptop so I don't
have a hardware decoder either.

DVDs play flawlessly in windowed mode when I'm not using the CPU for
anything else.

Gnome on the other hand has noticable lag.

If someone can tell me how to quantify these issues in a way that
everyone can understand, I'd be glad to. But from my point of view as a
user, software decryption, sound decoding, and no video accerlation
sounds like a rather hard and CPU intensive task where opening new
windows and a normal user interface shouldn't be slow compared to it.

Maybe I'm full of it, maybe this is something people should consider,
you decide.

--
Frank