Re: the same page

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Or they'll use XFCE or an older version of KDE or GNOME. There is also a
> > worthwhile distinction between free software and a company. Companies
> > *have* to find markets, even small ones if they are going to survive. A
> > lot of times this is a compromise and means they won't be able to get
> > the whole enchilada. How many contenders to Microsoft have eventually
> > been relegated to niche markets and then eventually fade away?
>
> But by saying PII/400 or higher you are both making yourself a niche
> product in critical areas, and forgetting the innovators dilemma...
>
> > Why did Cyrix get screwed? Why didn't AMD? I think a big reason was that
>
> Cyrix failed to deliver jalapeno on time. They couldnt deliver product
> Think of Cyrix as a gnome 2.0 warning and Intel/AMD as KDE

And not fast enough (with sqrt and similar excepted) floating point which
gave it a bad reputation - even if most pople complaining didn't use it
enough for it to matter - which combined with inept marketing translated
to disastrous results.

	Sander

	I see a dark sail on the horizon
	Set under a dark cloud that hides the sun
	Bring me my Broadsword and clear understanding