Re: Thinking about Dogfood

On 13 Aug 2001, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

 Hi!

 I think that for Gnome there are clear reasons why Gnome doesn't spread
widely any more.
 Majority of gnome software is just unusable for non-english people (for
people who don't use ascii - i.e. who need accented characters, or even worse
- for people who have to use non-latin languages - cyrillic and greek scripts,
and Chineese-Japaneese-Korean). I repeat - majority of software is broken for
non-ascii users. Even Evolution is broken for people who have to use non-ascii
(e.g. German people)! The i18n-related bugs in Evolution make me thinking that
Evolution developers even *do not test* it with accented characters! I wonder
where Sun (who seems to care about i18n in thier Solaris) and HP and other
Ximian's inverstors are looking at - it seems Ximian was supposed to polish
gnome for international use too - but Ximian is not doing this at all.

 Being at usable for international users is VERY important for any software
that targets at "world domination" or "becoming a de facto standard" - since
it gets 'viable as a standard' stamp and begings to be considered seriously
all over the world by various parties (including government). Currently KDE
applications are much more usable for international users!

 So guys - please pay more attention to i18n! Hire really qualified i18n
engineers!

 Alternatively, give up developing gnome since it will be just a loss of
efforts. But it's a pity to see a project with rather clean architecture to
die due to the way it was implemented...

 Best regards,
  -Vlad