Re: URIs vs. half-baked URIs (was Filesel drag and drop)

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Derek Simkowiak wrote:

> -> You can't really distinguish between a half-baked URI (or just really
> -> goofy unix filename that might correspond to a literalily saved URI) in
> -> the presence of filenames with % marks inside.
>
> 	It's even worse than that.
>
> 	Some application servers don't use properly-formatted Query
> Strings in their URLs, i.e., you could see something like
>
> http://server/app/getobject.nsf?type=file&name=has%20space&path=/some/path
>
> 	Technically, the "/some/path" is supposed to be URL encoded, but
> the appserver (the .nsf file in this example) is hard-coded to accept that
> un-encoded variable directly.  An application would see this as a properly
> formatted URI with a very wacky directory name in the third level down.

There are plenty of scripts out there generating URLs that have totally
unencoded spaces inside the URL. There is only so much we can do about 3rd
party http: "pointers".

> 	Yes, I have seen this in the real world.  I've seen it in web apps
> used by very large companies, which are produced by very large companies.
>
> 	Note that something like a %20 (space) could never appear in a
> URI, even a file:// URI.  Also note that you never know if a % is supposed
> to be just the '%' or the URI encode flag.  (I've seen stuff with hidden
> form variables that wind up looking like:
>
> var=has%2520space
>
> 	(where %25 is the URI encoding for '%' and %20 is space.)

AFAIK uri encoding/decding is strictly one-pass process and no unencoded
%-s are allowed inside it. OTOH, it's been a while I looked at the spec.

	Sander

I haven't been vampired. You've been Weatherwaxed.