Re: The state of our web site and standards

* Ville Pätsi (drc gnome org) [010412 22:36]:
> These 2.6K bytes were from Telsa Gwynne,
> > Agreed, Bobby is picky. So is htmltidy (which demands summary attributes
> > for any table).
>
> This raises an another problem. I frequently use the program "tidy" to verify
> my html. This program is created by a person from the w3c. It validates the
> code of my homepage as complete html 4.0. ( http://canvas.gnome.org/~drc/ )
> But when I run it trough http://validator.w3.org/ , it gives a bunch of errors.
> Now which program is right? How are we supposed to produce valid html if the
> checker programs don't validate their results between each other?
>   Before going into a discussion about forcing people to use validators, we
> should choose which one to support and use. The best way propably would be
> that the w3 create a piece of transportable code that would be used by all
> validators.

I've been using "tidy" some time ago. I don't like it very much.
Whenever i started it and wanted to throw my html pages in the w3c
validator, it showed a bunch of errors. I'm only using
http://validator.w3.org/ for validating my pages and it works
perfectly for me.
A big page might be loads of work, but it is doable to create a
compliant html page, IMOHO!

Greetings,
Christian