Re: GNOME 2 Sound Architecture and APIs?

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> esound is junk. The only thing esd has is a good client API for going boing
> at approximately the right time. Anything else is beyond it.

The API has stylistic problems as well (e.g. passing fd's around
directly), although this isn't a strike against the esound design so much
as against the present implementation.

> How anyone can complain about resource issues in GNOME when Gnome 2.0
> is using Corba, oaf and all the other glue is beyond me. If you are
> worried about resources then I'd start at that end of the problem.

If we were talking about fixing the middleware area of things, I would be
raising the issue of bloat there. We aren't talking about that area, so
I'm not worried about bloat in that area. I'm worried about resource usage
relative to the problem being solved.

> That'll save you ten times the resources you need for a little bit of
> C++

To elaborate, my problem was with the C++ dependency (not C++ resource
usage per se), and the arts resource usage due to all its funky features.

-- Elliot
The truth knocks on my door, and I say
"Go away. I'm looking for the truth"
...and so it goes away.