Re: Idea for CD players.

Christopher James Lahey <clahey helixcode com> writes:

> On 16 Nov 2000, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
>
> > An idea I had the other day:
> >
> > 	* Bonobo component that abstracts the CD player interface.
> >
> > 	* Bonobo *control* that can display a music playing device.
> >
> > A CD player should be implemented by using the CD player component
> > hooked up to the music player control.  `player control' component can
> > then be used by other applications.  The CD player component can be
> > used by panel applets, regular cd players, and so on.
>
> Why would this be a CD player component?  Shouldn't this be a generic
> control that's supported by a number of different backends?  One for CDs
> and one for xmms or something like it to play oggs/mp3s, and so on.

After loving this for about a week, support for ddj would also be nice
(Digital DJ, uses a MySQL database to get a list of oggs/mp3s etc.).

As another feature suggestion, would it be possible to separate frontend and
backend in two different processes ? This way I'd be able to launch the backend
on another machine (too many PCI cards in my machine to fit a soundcard in it)
and pass its IOR to the frontend.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)