Re: Making it easier on translators

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 10:15:42PM +0100, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld dkuug dk> writes:
>
> > We need something as good as the .po mechanisms.
>
> It is good, very good -- but not perfect.  E. g., it fails to link
> button label texts and message texts talking about the buttons.  The
> translator has to look up those relations manually.  Actually, the
> original hacker/writer has to do the same.
>
> I don't want to start to talk about the documentation writers (and
> translators)...

I would not mind making something better than .po .
Messages in .po sometimes have a high granularity, such
as eg the function descriptions in gnumeric.
You may have to read thru 20 lines of detailed description
just to find out that they put a # before an ENUM value,
or removed it. A tool that could identify just the few words
characters changed would help.

This may even work on non .po files.

Keld