Re: Gnome-print & PPD's copyrights (for HP printers)

Chema Celorio wrote:
This is a "WE NEED YOUR HELP" message which I am hoping will
fall in the right ears.

With the new gnome-print, we are planning to distribute some
printer definition files which contain Postscript code that
is copyrighted by printer manufacturers. This code was extracted
from public available PPD files.
(http://download.sourceforge.net/lpr/hp-ppd-0.2.tar.gz).

I don't want to ship with gnome-print this files, before
we get authorization from HP to do so. I think that we
have enought "testing material" with HP printers for now,
which is why I am focusing on HP Postscript printers only.
[Althou I don't mind adding support for other PS printers
provided that we get authorization from the printer manuf.
to distribute this files]

I would like to get autorization from HP to distribute
this files. Any help/contacts/pointers/solutions would
be apreciated.

Hi, Chema.

All of HP's PPDs out on SourceForge are under the MIT license (look in any of them, near the top), and so you are free to do pretty much anything you want with or to them.  The only requirement is that "The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions..."

Regards,
Greg

--
Greg Perkins