Re: Multi-sessioning for GNOME [revisited]

Hi Alan,

>> Is GNOME_WORLD any more flexible than making .gnome a symlink
>> to a directory?
>
>Yes. I need multiple concurrent sessions.

Ok, let's see if we can achieve that without requiring
a new global environment varable:

- you can have multiple concurrent sessions by making session
  a symlink to the desired session file and by having
  display-specific session files (basically we would need
  gsm to look first for a matching display-specific session
  file, if it doesn't find one, it uses the ~/.gnome/session symlink)

- you can have multiple GNOME configuration directories and
  choose one using a ~/.gnome symlink

You didn't say you wanted it, but the one feature that this
doesn't get you is a display-specific configuration
(not just the session). This could use the .gnome-<display-info>
mechanism you described, but I would view this as a
dimension of flexibility that most users won't need;
the symlink is probably enough for the few users who
know exactly what they want from their GNOME configuration.

As I believe Havoc hinted at before, GConf is a better way
for storing and accessing configuration information
for GNOME; I would really prefer to see a way to
make the GConf configuration path responsive to
the current run-time environment. This would
allow more flexibility and it's also easier to
envisage a GUI that could allow users to more easily
understand and use this flexibility with GConf configuration.

Colm.

>From: Alan Cox <alan redhat com>
>Subject: Re: Multi-sessioning for GNOME [revisited]
>To: Colm Smyth ireland sun com
>Cc: Stephen Browne ireland sun com, alan redhat com, gnome-hackers gnome org
>
>> Is GNOME_WORLD any more flexible than making .gnome a symlink
>> to a directory?
>
>Yes. I need multiple concurrent sessions.

Colm Smyth - Sun Microsystems, Ireland - Desktop S/W Engineering
Sun Xtn: 19166    Phone: 353-1-819-9166   Fax: 353-1-819-9200