Re: Multi-sessioning for GNOME [revisited]

>Display specific isnt good enough either actually. I hit this one and its why
>I made the GNOME_WORLD totally flexible

(should have included this comment in previous response, sorry for
the spam...)

Is GNOME_WORLD any more flexible than making .gnome a symlink
to a directory?

This way we can can be sure that no application is broken that
relies on the location .gnome; we also know that anyone who upgrades
their GNOME version does not have a broken session due to any
saved configuration paths that contain ~/.gnome.

For GNOME 2.0, I would think that most GNOME applications are
migrating to GConf for storing their configuration information.

This is a lot more powerful than writing directly to
configuration files at a specific location. Imagine being
able to just configure one setting (the GConf configuration
path) and to be able to access your GNOME configuration
anywhere in the world? You could do this, if your GNOME
configuration was available via a web-server (ok, GConf
doesn't support this now, but it will for GNOME 2.0).

Colm.

>From: Alan Cox <alan redhat com>
>Subject: Re: Multi-sessioning for GNOME [revisited]
>To: Stephen Browne ireland sun com
>Cc: alan redhat com, gnome-hackers gnome org
>
>> I assume you mean that you could be logged into a machine more than once.
>> e.g. with a seperate remote display.
>>
>> I think Glynn's suggestion about the display specific session files
>> would take care of this problem.
>
>Display specific isnt good enough either actually. I hit this one and its why
>I made the GNOME_WORLD totally flexible
>
>I have a shared /home (the wonders of NFS). At the same time ':0' is not a
>shared display across the boxes

Colm Smyth - Sun Microsystems, Ireland - Desktop S/W Engineering
Sun Xtn: 19166    Phone: 353-1-819-9166   Fax: 353-1-819-9200