IDL namespacing ...

Hi All,

        I thought I'd move the namespaceing issue here to get some more
input. Currently we suffer from several namespacing problems, ie. people
going an putting their interfaces in the root domain.

        So; I have just put together a namespacing guideline for various
current project's IDL to be moved to ( post haste preferably ). We have
decided to try and register the GNOME/ and Bonobo/ top level domains [1]

        Since it is important to distribute control of each domain to its
maintainer, I have done a preliminary carve up of the space thus [2]:

* GNOME/

subdomains:
        Achtung/                achtung         mkestner ameritech net
        ControlCenter/          control-center  ?
        DB/                     Gnome-db        rodrigo linuxave net
        Dia/                    Dia             james daa com au
        Eog/                    Eog             federico helixcode com
        Evolution/              Evolution       ettore helixcode com
        Config/                 GConf           hp redhat com
        Gnumeric/               Gnumeric        jody helixcode com
        GtkHtml/                GtkHtml         rodo helixcode com
        Guppi3/                 guppi3          jon emccta com
        Nautilus/               Nautilus        darin eazel com
        Print/                  gnome-print     chema celorio com
        SodiPodi/               sodipodi        lauris helixcode com
        VFS/                    gnome-vfs       pavel eazel com

standard interfaces:
        HTMLEditor              gtkhtml
        [ probably should be some more here ]

deprecated interfaces:
        Unknown                 gnome-libs
        Table                   gnome-libs
        GenericFactory          gnome-libs

* Misc. Namespacing errors - non-deprecated.

Desktop/
        TextViewerFactory       gnome-libs
        TextViewer              gnome-libs
        Editor                  gnome-libs

        I'm sure I've forgotten some people, so please contact me,
CC'ing gnome-components. A list of these is maintained in
bonobo/doc/NAMESPACE.

        Both namespaces will be owned by the Foundation if we can in fact
register them.

        Please put the effort in now to correct any namespacing problems,
it will save pain later, and we cannot continue to clutter the root
namespace.

        Regards,

                Michael.

[1] For many reasons; 1 of which is that org_gnome_Nautilus or whatever
looks ugly, and is more typing for C binding people.

[2] I just gleaned the names from people who communicate with me
Re: Bonobo for these modules and some ChangeLog reading.