Bugzilla Helper & Component descriptions (Re: Bugzilla ready to go live?)

Oops! I forgot to mention one thing...

Owen Taylor wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak <mjs eazel com> writes:
>
> > Sorry for being so late to comment on the new bugzilla. Here's a few
> > suggestions. They mostly come down to "make it more like the
> > Eazel/Helix customized version", but I think some of the changes that
> > Darin, Ramiro, Eli and others made are worth having:
> >
> > * Add a "bugzilla helper" as the preferred and more prominent way to
> >   file new bugs: http://bugzilla.eazel.com/helper.html for an
> >   example. This has helped both Mozilla and Nautilus improve bug
> >   reporting quality.
>
> This looks good. If you get someone to send me the source
> (assuming there is any but that one HTML file), I'lll look
> into integrating it.

    The Bugzilla Helper uses the Bugzilla component descriptions to help
bug reporters to choose the right bug for their component.

    So, for the Bugzilla Helper to lead less technical GNOME users to the
right component, the component descriptions need to be informative enough
to guide reporters to the correct component. I believe you will save time
in the long run if a tester-writer like Telsa crafted them, with the goal
of each description being to answer, "What does this feature do, and how do
I know if my bug belongs here?"

    e.g. as a more extreme example, the description for "libgnome" is
currently "libgnome".

    In contrast, a few examples from Mozilla:

IMAGELIB:
                              ImageLib decodes GIF, JPEG and PNG images,
and provides the decoded data to the Compositor for display. If Seamonkey
can display an image when loaded
                              separately from the page, ImageLib is
working, and the actual imaging bug exists elsewhere within Seamonkey.

                              Examples of appropriate bugs: PNG gAMA chunk
ignored; Crashes on GIF w/corrupted frame(merr-01.gif); or PNGs and JPEGs
aren't displayed on
                              FreeBSD.

HISTORY:
                              For bugs in session history and persistent
global history. The History feature enables Mozilla to remember what web
sites you've visited in your current, and
                              previous, browsing sessions.

                              If you've found a bug in the Go menu, the
Back and Forward buttons, or the History window (available from the Tasks
menu's Tools submenu), file it here.

                              Examples of appropriate bugs: Chrome URLs
incorrectly added to global history; Reproducible crash when sorting by
Title in History window; or Browser's
                              "go" menu broken -- session history not
displayed.

P.S. Gerv (gerv gerv net) who maintains the Mozilla instance of Bugzilla
Helper is also a long-time Linux enthusiast, and might be amenable to
helping adapt it to GNOME if asked.