RE: Questions

>===== Original Message From Eric Lemings <eric b lemings lmco com> =====

>Second, I have only seen the Quicktime demos of the new MacOS X user
>interface called Aqua and, given Apple's expertise in user interface
>design, I was wondering if GNOME designers have thought about using it
>as a model?  (A model is not the same as a clone.)  Or does Apple have
>have patents/trademarks/etc. that restrict use of these new user
>interface techniques on the GNOME platform?

There are some good features in the OS X GUI, and personally I think that the
NeXTSTEP style file manager is very nice (although it would be much nicer with
a shelf IMO).  But there are also a lot of problems with the GUI, in a lot of
ways it's less elegant and refined than Mac OS 8/9 IMO.  Also the pointless
eye candy annoys a lot of people, it looks cool at first but soon it just
slows the user down.

It's hard to see how Apple could restrict the use of the features in the OS X
GUI when most of them aren't really new.  I can't think of anything much in it
that's unique to Mac OS X, apart from the eye candy many features were in
NeXTSTEP and other OSes years ago.  Actually I found the lack of radical new
ideas very disappointing.

Have a look at the OS X review on ArsTechnica.com, it covered most of the good
features and the bad design in the OS X GUI.

Totalise - the Users ISP
To become a member and a shareholder
visit http://www.totalise.net
The Totalise Email system, probably the most flexible email system in the
world. To register for an account goto http://www.totalise.net