Re: scripting

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, John Sullivan wrote:

> on 3/11/01 9:00 AM, Jonas De Vuyst at jonas devuyst advalvas be wrote:
>
> >> My question might be stupid, but what if this feature would
> >> apear on the GUI. For exmaple : Imagine that your word
> >> processor can't handle a format but you have a converter.
> >> With the mouse you should redirect the "save as..." dialog's
> >> output into the converter's input.
> >
> > IIRC BeOS had a special API for converting file formats. I'm not sure
> > but I vagely recall that there is being worked on that for Gnome... it
> > could be my imagination though ;-). What I am (more or less ;) sure of
> > is that someone is working getting "translators" into Nautilus.
>
> For what it's worth, I am unaware of any such work in Nautilus. At least,
> there's nothing like that there now, nobody at Eazel is working on it, and
> I'm not even sure there's a request for it in bugzilla.eazel.com.
>
> It does sound like a good idea.

There is already an API in gnome-libs 1.0 for the purpose of performing
these type of conversions. It is totally unused and needs further
development to be useful for the role specified, but the basic code is
there as a starting point.

-- Elliot
The truth knocks on my door, and I say
"Go away. I'm looking for the truth"