Re: why I don't use gnome...
- From: Nicolas Mailhot <Nicolas Mailhot email enst fr>
- To: "Blad, John Erling" <john erling blad aftenposten no>
- Cc: "'gnome-gui-list @ gnome . org'" <gnome-gui-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: why I don't use gnome...
- Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 21:45:03 +0100
On jeu, 01 mar 2001 21:20:17 "Blad, John Erling" wrote:
> > > > 2) I cannot _not_ have the desktop managed by gnome.
> > > > This is bizarre, I can start up panel separetely,
> but I cannot start
> > > > gnome-sesion without have a root app running.
> > > > kenneth
> > > I know there are at least a few applications that
> draws on the root window.
> > > Some of them uses specialized hardware to intermingle
> video and X11 windows.
> > > Perhaps it would be a good idea to be able to start
> GNOME in a say-away-from-root
> > > mode.
> > And I'm afraid with Nautilus things will only get worse,
> > better, at least with gmc the only thing managed was
> > shaped windows.
> > Nicolas
> It is possible to turn off the desktop in Nautilus I've
> been told.
At least gmc played well with desktop image cyclers, WM,
Nautilus won't manage desktop icons without managing the
background (and doing a very poor job of it, btw)
] [Thread Prev