Re: why I don't use gnome...

> > > 2) I cannot _not_ have the desktop managed by gnome.
> > > This is bizarre, I can start up panel separetely, but I cannot start
> > > gnome-sesion without have a root app running.

> > > kenneth

> > I know there are at least a few applications that draws on the root window.
> > Some of them uses specialized hardware to intermingle video and X11 windows.
> > Perhaps it would be a good idea to be able to start GNOME in a say-away-from-root
> > mode.

> And I'm afraid with Nautilus things will only get worse, not
> better, at least with gmc the only thing managed was some
> shaped windows.

> Nicolas

It is possible to turn off the desktop in Nautilus I've been told.

What would be cool is to have a Nautilus mini-desktop applet as a roll-in thing on the
left edge on the screen (or somewhere else - perhaps as a popup window or list)
With Nautilus ability to make small icons on the fly this could be feasible..

John