Re: Reprise of the panel layout proposal

On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 04:13:29PM +0200, Jorg Rathlev wrote:
> > Oooh, *nice*. You can't very well put "Log out" under "New tasks", can
> > you? That'd invite more questions than the Start menu ("Why do I have
> > to press `Start' to stop using my computer?"). :)
>
> Ahh, that one. It's like... uhh, like having to switch a light on and
> off using the same switch, right?

But the light switch is called an "on-off switch", not an "on switch".
I remember as a child being quite surprised that new Macintoshes
didn't have on-off switches, only on-switches.

<snip>

> > To sum up, my proposal for a default panel layout would be something
> > like this:
> >
> > * a horizontal corner panel in the lower left, containing
>
> I don't like corner panels, I think a panel that covers the whole
> bottom would be a better choice, even if it does leave some unused
> space. But this is, of course, mostly a personal preference, I have
> not done any user testing except testing myself :)

It might be a good idea to make it an edge panel - it's not entirely
obvious that the panel will stretch to accomodate new items.

> > Every panel (including the default) should have a small button across
> > the far end (bottom or right for edge panels, the opposite end of
> > drawers) that pops up the current "Add to panel" menu, including such
> > items as "lock screen button", "log out button", "run button", the
> > applets submenu, and so forth.
>

> _ _ __________           (desktop area)
>             | |
>             | |
>  (panel)    |>|
>             | |
> - - --------'-'----------------------------- - -
>              ^
>            the button
>

> Like this? I like the idea, but it conflicts with the "slide away"
> button, doesn't it?

Not quite like that - the "slide away" button is on the end of the
panel, but this would be like an applet tucked inside the panel, like
this:

 _ _ __________           (desktop area)
          ,-.| |
          |^|| |