Re: Reprise of the panel layout proposal

--- "Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero"
<famrom infernal-iceberg com> wrote:
> jjramsey_6x9eq42 yahoo com (2001-06-23 at 1343.30
> > the problem being addressed is how to keep the
> user's
> > own ignorance of the GUI from getting to the point
> > where he or she seems stuck. Such a user might not
> > know how to trigger the failsafe option, even if
> there
> > is a easy GUI way of accessing it. Better to keep
> the
> > user from screwing up in the first place.
> Thristian's
> > more fine-grained scheme minimizes the number of
> core
> > things that can't be removed, so even advanced
> users
> > should be happy and may not even notice what isn't
> > removable.

> You will still find people that will not want your
> forced system.
> IE,
> I do not use main menu in a panel (keybinding or
> MB3), nor logout nor
> control center launcher (they come in the menu, and
> I already can
> launch it).

First, credit where credit is due: it isn't *my*
"forced" system, but Thristian's.

Second, designing *anything* complex, from software to
cars, involves tradeoffs. Configurability is a
two-edged sword that can confuse users as well as help
them fit the software to their needs. The problem with
the GNOME GUI as it stands is that its target audience
is end users, but because its design was done by
developers acting according to their intuition, it
ended up catering more to expert users--who probably
comprise most of the current users--rather than the
audience that it was intended to satisfy. Correcting
the GNOME GUI to better accomodate its target audience
almost inevitably will result in some slight loss of
configurability.

If changing the GNOME GUI to better fit its target
audience means that some of the current users of GNOME
can no longer use the latest changed GNOME desktop in
the same way that they used the older GNOME desktop,
it probably means that those users were not using
GNOME for its intended purpose in the first place.

> But do not worry, I will find ways to
> workaround your
> limits, or just move to other system, it seems my
> doom.

Moving to another GUI is hardly what I call "doom".

=====

----I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool.----