Re: Proposal for default panel layout w/ some modifications to thepanel

James Ramsey wrote:

People are experts at different parts of a program
Especially as programs get more complex, isn't it
likely that people will be
experts at some aspects of the program, and total
beginners at others?
Suppose the program is Microsoft Word. It's been
said that people only use
10% of the features of the program, but it's a
different 10% for everyone.

It depends on the range of tasks that tend to get done
by the program. A CAD program like Pro/Engineer has
several different roles: parts modelling, parts
assembly, making drawings from the parts, using
modules like Pro/Mechanica to do stress analyses, etc.
It is quite likely that users will master some of
these roles more completely than others. On the other
hand, a program like MS Word is really used for one
role: preparing documents. Preparing most documents in
MS Word will require only 10% of MS Word's
functionality, but it will be the same 10% each time.

So what you are saying is this.

Lets say, I set my MOM up with a gnome desktop running Nautilus. She complains that Nautilus makes it too slow and can we go back to that thingie we had before (gmc).

I explain, sure, but then you won't be able to see image previews and play music with it. So now she wants both, gmc for day to day, and Nautilus when she wants to use those features.

Now what you are saying is that she has to be an ADVANCED user for Nautilus to not draw the desktop??? A little hint for you, she's barely a beginner! User levels, at least as proposed by everybody here DON'T WORK!

--
:    __o
:   -\<,