RE: Proposal for default panel layout w/ some modifications to thepanel

And now...for my take on user levels.

The way Nautilus implements user levels--user levels for
configuration--doesn't make much sense.

-----
Does the beginner want to change ANY configuration options?
The idea of using user levels is to make things easier for the beginner,
while allowing the advanced user free reign. Does limiting/removing
configuration levels make the PROGRAM ITSELF any easier?

And you could make user levels for the program itself like Copland tried to
do...then you'd end up designing 3 UIs for each level.

People are experts at different parts of a program
Especially as programs get more complex, isn't it likely that people will be
experts at some aspects of the program, and total beginners at others?

Suppose the program is Microsoft Word. It's been said that people only use
10% of the features of the program, but it's a different 10% for everyone.
Is the portion of the program used dictated by whether you're a beginner,
intermediate, or advanced user, or by the features you need to use to get
the job done?

Unified, consistent, UI design. And panels.
I really think it is possible to design one UI that everyone will be happy
with.

This, of course, does not mean as much free reign as we have today with
panels...every different panel configuration that people have is really a
different UI. Reconfiguring panels is only _one_ way advanced users are
satisfied with their UI, not the only way.

When people design "simpler" UIs, they remove functions, choices...this does
not make the program fundamentally easier. A begining user can handle
complex UIs, so long as it is totally consistent.

I guess consistency means none or very little choices regarding panels. And
it's for the better.

Thank you,

Gerry Chu