Re: Proposal for default panel layout w/ some modifications to the panel

On 15 Jun 2001 08:45:59 -0700, James Ramsey wrote:

> This is why I suggest that there be a baseline
> configuration sufficient to access the functionality
> of GNOME that is *always* present, and can't be
> removed (except by advanced users?). The baseline that
> I chose was a modified menu panel and a pager. Above
> this baseline, users can tweak and customize to their
> hearts' content, and if they screw up their
> customizations or get confused, they still have a
> baseline config to fall back on. Having a nonremovable
> baseline config also means that users who have
> problems can RTFM or search FAQs at their leisure.
> They don't have to have the answers RIGHT NOW when
> they have a project due or a deadline to meet, because
> they can use the baseline config to get work done in
> the meantime.

You're kind of right, it's good to have a fall back for new users, but you
offended everyone else by suggesting that it's /impossible/ to change that
base configuration. Because virtually everyone on that list /wants/ to
change it.

What you all totally ignore in that discussion is the we /do/ have user levels
in Gnome 2! Coders already decided that the concept of user levels, introduced
by Nautilus, is A Good Thing (tm) and want to make it system wide.

So instead of arguing like "new users shouldn't be able to change it" versus
"but I want to change it!", we should discuss what options belong in which user
level.

Let's see it this way: There was an idea about a sane default configuration with
the hint that new users shouldn't be able to change it. Everyone else answered
"Ok, but everyone but the beginner may change it."

So please stop flaming and instead discuss what would be good defaults and what
option should be available in which user level.

Just my 2c.