Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus user testing at MIT

Hello Nicholas and others,

First, excuse me for just dropping into this discussion; I've recently subscribed to the gnome-gui list and would like to comment on this article.

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

Anyhow, yes, I agree that the UI should remain fully
usable
while the cursor displays the hourglass.

Wich isn't the case ; an hourglass is a difficult pointer.

To me, this sounds like you (or the previous poster) have misunderstood the point of an hourglass pointer. Which, IMO, is to give a visual cue that the UI is incapable of processing commands (clicks) *at the position of the cursor* for as long as the hourglass is displayed. Hence, the UI is by definition not usable while the cursor displays the hourglass!

Again, the reason I like the hourglass is just that it is
a *known* mechanism for informing the huge base of Windoze
users that the OS is launching your application.  Why have
we got to reinvent the wheel?

Because the window wheel is square, that's why.

Don't be distracted by the way the win9x interface has implemented this idea. Instead, take a look at the OS/2 Presentation Manager (plus the Workplace Shell on top of it). The default wait icon is a clock instead of an hourglass, but that's not important - the point is that it is only displayed when the application _beneath_ the cursor is unable to respond to mouseclicks. This could also be the desktop itself, when the OS is very busy performing a task at a given moment.

Using cursor forms to inform a user of its applications
state don't work, because there is *one* mouse pointer and
*lots* of app windows. Web browser designers recognized this
and created throbbers for this very reason.

I think it also has to do with the fact that web pages take exceptionally long to load, compared with the launching of an application. What is wrong with the wait cursor above a application that's busy, given that the busy-state will last no longer than a few seconds?

3. embed your throbber in a generic place (title bar, task
list, dock, splash screen, start monitor-applet, whatever)

- title bar: inconvenient when your app is starting up and you don't know the window dimensions yet;

- task list : Gnome already has something like this, when an app is starting you can see its name in the tasklist applet with a hourglass icon next to it;

- dock : how is a dock different from a task list?

- splash screen: you really don't want all your apps to have a splash screen!

Your ideas remind me of the blinking "LED" in the CDE launchpad to indicate activity.
Not a bad idea in itself, because if you're running X at a terminal you'll never know if the system is busy otherwise because you don't have harddisk lights or sounds. It's just that the CDE implementation is, well, quite uncool.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen