Re: Terminology

Le 2001.04.17 11:04, Mike Newman a écrit :
> On 17 Apr 2001 09:26:03 +0100, Yuting Kuo wrote:
>
> > In the real world, folders are things that contain other files, whilst
> > directories are something you look into like a telephone directory. My
> > point is the user will already be familiar with the concept "folder"
> > from real world experience

Beware of the « real world » argument. This is more often than not a very
misleading term : whatever your metaphor is, your objects are NOT the
objects from which the metaphor is taken, they do NOT behave the same way,
and any attempt to closely tie applications to metaphors usually end up in
disaster. (seek the ui hall of shame to have a good laugh)

> I think, whatever my feelings on this, that this particular metaphor has
> won the day

I'm afraid that's true. Folder shuld be used, not because it's a better
metaphor, but because it's the most prevalent one (thought I will
personnaly hate it, I'm a directory man).

> > it would be easier to maintain
> > consistency with the "Real world" than merely "Unix".
>
> Surely you're not saying that "Real World" != UNIX? :-)

The day Gnome cares more about the « real world » (whatever it is) than the
system it works with no one will it anymore.

Caring about the « real world » is putting grey fur and soft ears on mice
just because of their name (note that furred mice might be confortable
ones:)

--
Nicolas Mailhot