Re: Document-based applications

thristian atdot org wrote:
> No it shouldn't. It should bring up a summary window of all open
> documents, in a list, with a "Save and close" button, and a "Discard"
> button that apply to the items in the list, a "Don't exit" button that
> uses "Esc" as the shortcut key, and an "Exit" button that is default,
> but does not become enabled until every item in the list is dealt
> with. The list should be multi-select, so you can just select
> everything and "Save" or "Discard".

I personally think a dialog with multi-select list and buttons are
complicated.

Generally, user shouldn't be encouraged to use exit function as a
shortcut to save all files. A "Save All" should be included in the File
menu.

It might be less complicated to let the user know there are several
unsaved files and give him a chance to return to the application and
save them the normal way.

> I find it very annoying to have to go through a series of identical
> dialog boxes for every file I have open - if there's a lot of files I
> want to discard, I might accidentally discard changes to a file I
> want.

you could save the ones you want first, then discard all other files on
exit.