Re: Hi all

Tom Musgrove wrote:

> Kevin wrote
> > 3. When Macs (and Windows) start up a program, the mouse pointer has the
> > sand timer come up or a watch had rotating.  When I've shown GNOME to
> > first time users, that's what they first ask, "Is the program started?"
> > A task bar should be "initialized" to show the "startup" of the program
> > until it is ready to be used.  This should be a two step process: task
> > bar is initiated and is "unuseable" until the program is ready, then it
> > should be like normal task bars.
>
> Better would be to launch a splash screen immediately, so that they know the
> program is starting, the hour glass is too subtle for some novice users
> (hence they click on the icon 30 times and launch 30 copies of the program).
> I seem to recall someone mentioning that KDE 2.0 does this...

Yes, someone wrote for KDE what I described above.  A task bar is
started with a small icon indicating that the process has started and
once the application is ready to use, the icon changes to a normal
icon.  The bottom line is the visual indication that the computer is
doing what you asked it to, since we're accustomed to GUI stuff now.

I'd also like to see gtop show parent/child processes.  I currently use
SuSe 6.4 and when I print and want to cancel, lpq shows the process
cancelled, but a y2prn child process has been started and I have to go
to gtop to kill it, NOW that I know this.  It would be nice in some
instances that when you kill a process, it means killed!

--
Kevin
--
Success is never final, failure is never fatal, unless you quit on
others and yourself.