Fra: Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero [mailto:famrom idecnet com]
Sendt: 25. oktober 2000 16:42
Til: gnome-gui-list gnome org
Emne: Re: Arlo, a little QA comment regarding your interview with
linux.com

sullivan eazel com (2000-10-25 at 0802.24 -0700):
[...]
> I understand your point, which is that some "preferences" are really just
> features that aren't used much, and are thus relegated away to a preferences
> dialog rather than being put into a more obvious place in the program.

What about options that user never use cos never think about them or
cos they are so hidden than user preffer keep in one mode, but would
use more if they know about them / were easy to change? How can that
options be detected, so the can be put in a better place, and docs be
writen explaining what the do?

I have some in mind, and some software hide options in latest version,
but I do not see a serious reason to kick the user instead of help
them more, except "coin decission" or "someone is paying us more than
any user to do this". My private nightmare is NS and the hide of Java,
JavaScript and Auto load images on / off functions (some hide, some
never implemented): off means faster, and sometimes more secure use
(taking into account NS stabilty, I would say always), on means get
all, bad or good, so being able to toogle quickly would be great, cos
some places worth the download and in others you just waste time...
and money.

I guess there are many other examples about things people like to
change, or will change if easier. The question is how to decide that?
Who decides that? Poll? Testing? Not talking if coder will code it,
just how to find the best recommendation.

The example about single vs double click, IMO, is pretty obvious. But
others are really in the gray area, specially those that users never
thought about cos nobody allowed them to do it.

GSR