Re: Beyond Nautilus 1.0

Hello,

> The Humane Interface, by Jef Raskin, is based on some ten years of
> reading and thinking about all the scientific evidence developed by the
> cognitive psychology folks and others. In a hundred and fifty pages or
> so, he lays out the relevant science and shows you how to apply it to
> real issues.
>
> But then, in chapter six, he proposes an even more radical solution than
> the last time! If that's what you're here for, this is the book for you.
>
> If you read this list, you get a double your money back offer from me.
> Get the book. If you don't want to keep it in your library, I will buy
> it from you for twice what you had to pay for it. (Nobody has ever taken
> me up on that. They buy the book and then want to keep it.)

Great! I have just bought this book, so it's great knowing that it's a
good buy, thanks :-) (in fact I read this e-mail yesterday and I couldn't
help starting the book right away)

Hi all,

My name is Jorge Ferrer and this is my first mail to this list so I
thought it would be nice to introduce myself.

I'm right now finishing my University Studies in Madrid Spain where I
live. The career I'm about to finish is called 'Telecommunications
engineering' and it's a mix among electronics, radiocommunications and
computer science. I have specialized in computer science and besides my
classes I've learned as much as has been possible of the GNU/Linux world
and its programming and administration, graphical design (including web
design) and lately user interface design.

That last 'hobby' is what brings me here with the hope of being able to
help. I've programmed several programs in different languages (mostly C
and Java), so I come from the programming world. But I've always had a
great concern with the importance of a good human interface in computer
programs. I've followed the evolution of the GNOME project and I'd love to
be able to help and at the same time help make computers easier to use.

I'm not an expert of user interface although I'm learning quickly (and
reading a lot). I've seen that some of you are really good at it so I'll
try to be modest in my opinions (because you may not better than me) but I
believe (and hope) that my knowledge of different fields like programming
and graphic design besides user interface design can be helpful.

I won't talk more about myself now on and I'll try hard to be helpful and
give valuable ideas.

> See also the author's summary at JefRaskin.com and write me about it
> when you have read the book. Raskin was influenced by PAD++ which has
> evolved into Jazz in Java. It does zooming in a big way, too.

I've tried PAD++ and it's quite and experience. A lot of it would have to
be changed to be useful for regular users though. I have not tried Jazz
yet but I believe that it would be a good idea to keep an eye on it.